My teacup collection isn't based on a certain type of cup, manufactor or time period. I have just picked up cups I like the look of. I do find it interesting that, without looking, I do tend to pick up cups made in Japan most often. Within my teacup collection I do have one type I have begun collecting fairly recently and that is cups marked made in occupied Japan. I know have 7 of these. There are 5 different marks for these 7 little cups. They are all small in size and quite delicate. I believe this size cup is called a demitasse.
From the end of World War II, the allied forces occupied Japan for seven years. The unofficial occupation started Aug. 14, 1945, and the occupation lasted until April 25, 1952. During these seven years, half of all Japanese exports had to be labelled as coming from "Occupied Japan."
There is a way to tell if the "Occupied Japan" mark is authentic but I haven't tried it on my cups as of yet. I hope to add to this little collection. I have seen pictures of some incredibly beautiful pieces made during this time in history. :)







No comments:
Post a Comment