Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love this time
of year, the weather, the leaves, cool crisp mornings, hot coffee, house
slippers, and cozy blankets and on and on! I like how things often feel like
they slow down just a bit. I love having family and friends around to just sit
and visit with no need to rush off to the next thing. But most of all I love
all the reminders to just stop and count my blessing and be thankful! Whether
you enjoy the actual holiday or not I think we can all agree, we have so much
to be thankful for! As followers of Jesus that fact is multiplied beyond what
we can truly grasp and yet we are reminded and instructed in God’s Word to
“give thanks” “be thankful” and “give thanks and praise to God”. Did you know
that in the ESV “give thanks” occurs 62 times! One of my favorite is Psalm 92:1
“A Psalm. A Song for the Sabbath. It is good to give thanks to the LORD, to
sing praises to your name, O Most High;” What is your favorite “give thanks”
verse?
In 2 Timothy the warning is that, “men will be lovers
of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to
parents, unthankful, unholy,”
That makes me want to be more intentional about being thankful!
So, what are some of the ways you like to remind
yourself and/or your children to be thankful? There are many fun ways to go
about it. I’m sure a lot of you have seen the posts on Facebook where people
post something they are thankful for each day for the month of November. When I
was a child my mom let us make paper chains and write things we were thankful
for on each link as they were added to the chain. At the table during
Thanksgiving dinner one friend has everyone take from a bowl several corn
kernels. Then each person takes a turn naming something they are thankful for….how
many things you have to think of is based on how many kernels you have! One
thing I’m working on with my kids is to take these helpful things and implement
them all year long.

No comments:
Post a Comment